Thursday, June 5, 2008

Lost but Now I See!


Okay, so I lost my phone in Walmart on Saturday. We searched for over an hour. We made numerous calls to it, hoping someone would pick up. We sent texts asking whoever found it to return it to the service desk. Then we made the call to disconnect. I was really bummed. All those contacts. All those numbers. All those pictures.......... All lost......or...... stolen!? With that thought I got mad. I couldn't believe someone wouldn't just turn the thing in. What good was it going to do anyone? There was no service. If someone tried to have it activated they would get in trouble because we had reported it lost/stolen. I thought, just turn the phone in already!

Well, after 3 days of checking with the service desk, a miracle happened. Someone at the service desk at Walmart actually knew what was going on. That was the first miracle. (I know, that was mean. I'll save that for another blog) The second: My lost phone was there! In fact, it had been there since Sunday morning. My hope in human kindness and honesty was restored. I'm ashamed to say I was quick to judge those around me. A close friend said, "When I found out about your phone I thought, "is there really no honest person left out there?" That got me thinking. The answer is, "yes". There is a lot of bad in the world but there is a lot of good in "us". I would have turned the phone in. There are many others I know who would have done the same. A lost phone is just that. It can be replaced. The real loss is when we give up on each other.

3 comments:

jeramy sossaman said...

ooohhhhh.....great line. "...A lost phone is just that. It can be replaced. The real loss is when we give up on each other." Really good one. So true though...to quote my good friend Samwise Gamgee...."there's still good in this world...and it's worth fighting for." Great reminder GT.

Chelle said...

I would have turned the phone in. Does that make me a good person??? And the next time your "good friend" says something deep enough to get you "thinking"... how about giving that "good friend" some credit in your blog. I'm just sayin'...

And Jeramy, why are you calling her GT? I'm not okay with that.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I'm so happy you were reunited with your phone!