Monday, July 7, 2008

My Little Girl Is Growing Up!






Today was Anni's first "unofficial" day of Kindergarten. Her school offers a 13 day Jumpstart program for little people beginning Kindergarten in the fall. Since Anni is only going to make the age deadline by 15 days we decided to take advantage of the program to help her with the transition.


We arrived at the school at 7:45 and gathered with the other parents and children in the cafeteria. The teacher came in an collected us, then it was off to the classroom. Anni was being a trooper. No tears just some apprehension. She wanted me to hold her hand and she wasn't letting any distance get between us. I kept praying, "God please don't let me cry!" We arrived at the classroom and I helped Anni find her seat. The teacher began handing out color papers and then a few of the kids began to cry. Not my Anni girl. She was really awesome. I was afraid she might start crying because she felt bad for the children who were upset. The little girl beside her was having a hard time and I leaned down and said, "Why don't you try to be her friend today, then maybe she'll feel better okay?" she nodded and I told her I was going to go. She grabbed my hand and I thought I was going to lose it, but I kept praying. Anni looked up at me and said, "Mommy, you can go get in the car, but you can't leave. You just stay right there! Isn't that a good i-plan?" She has always combined the words "idea" and "plan". This made we laugh even though I was on the verge of tears. I assured her I would be close by and that I'd be there to pick her up when it was time. I got me some shuga and then I stepped outside the door. After I made sure all was okay I headed home.


So here I am, in my living room blubbering like an idiot. Noggin isn't on the TV. It's quiet except for the tinkling sound of the fish tank pump. These are going to be 4 of the longest hours of my life. Anni - my beautiful little lady. Today Kindergarten - Tomorrow......... I don't even want to think about it!

8 comments:

jeramy sossaman said...

this is great stuff....seriously. i can see the tears from here though. here's a tissue...hang in there. :-)

Chelle said...

I'm ruined! Absolutely ruined! Go pick up Anni RIGHT NOW!! I can't handle this Gena. She's not big enough to be in kindergarten already. We were just having her dedication yesterday. I'm proud that she was brave (and you too)... but she just can't be growing this fast.

james said...

ok I was holding it together till I read this...thanks baby...:-)..glad im alone...lol

Anonymous said...

OH! I'm totally crying for you! She is a little girl full of spunk and compassion. You and James gave her to tools to grow and thrive in school. She's going to be a blessing to her teacher and the friends she's making.
It gets easier each day...

And just so you know... everybody will be leaving super early to get their kid... don't worry that you'll be the only one in the parking lot an hour or two before school gets out.

Pastor's Perspective said...

Thanks a TON Carmena! You successfully SMASHED what was left of my tarry miniscule Grinch That Stole Christmas heart ALL OVER THE ROCKS!

Beck Beck said...

wow.. She is growing up so fast.. I'm fixin to face the same thing. I know it has to be hard!

Pastor's Perspective said...

Gimme some 'MANIA' Carmena!

Lauren said...

Oh sheesh, I'm crying now! She's such a precious girl! What a good mama you are!